For centuries wars have determined the fate of nations. Wars have been central in the geopolitical formation of the modern world. Furthermore, we have a film genre dedicated to events that happen during war. War movies are amusing and thrilling, they are also violent. Moreover, these movies help us understand the events of the past.
There are all kinds of War movies, some revolve around the historic wars, another talk about an imaginary alien invasion yet there are others that are fictional.
Good war movies characterize several elements such as superior editing skills, VFX, sound designing, and thrilling action sequences. Hence, here we present a list of the best war movies of all time as well as the best war movies on Netflix.
BEST WAR MOVIES
iMDB RATING – 7.8/10
This is one of the best war movies, it traces a real historic incident. The movie is set in the year 1940, Germany. It is the time of the Second world war. German forces have made their way into France, the Germans have trapped the allied forces on the beaches of Dunkirk. It was an example of good war movies as the makers showed the process of evacuation of at least 330,000 French, British, Belgian, and Dutch soldiers.
- Fionn Whitehead as Tommy
- Tom Glynn-Carney as Peter
- Jack Lowden as Collins
- Harry Styles as Alex
- Aneurin Barnard as Gibson
- James D’Arcy as Colonel Winnant
GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)
iMDB RATING – 8.1/10
It is a classic and is one of the best war movies. The film includes a mix of many genres, it is a romantic and dramatic war movie. The movie depicts the epic civil war. Its dramatic angle focuses on the southern belle; Scarlett O’Hara. The film begins with an ideal scenario with a booming plantation. Furthermore, with the beginning of the Civil War everything changes. It shows the survival tactics and tragic incidents that take place during tough times. The makers show reconstruction that happens post-war. Moreover, the film also chases the entwined romances of the lead characters; Ashley and Rhett.
- Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O’Hara
- Clark Gable as Rhett Butler
- Leslie Howard as Ashley Wilkes
WAR DOGS (2016)
This is one of the best war movies, it revolves around the lives of two friends in their early 20s. They live in Miami Beach. Furthermore, the film is set around the time of the Iraq war. The two friends engage in wrong deeds, they exploit a government initiative that lets the small businesses bid on U.S. Military contracts. They engage in some big deals and earn a lot of money. They bag a 300 million dollar deal, success is dancing on their heads. Furthermore, the big deal puts them in business with some very shady people. The film might appear to be serious war movies. However, it is a dark comedy war movie.
- Jonah Hill as Efraim Diveroli
- Miles Teller as David Packouz
- Ana De Armas as Iz
- Bradley Cooper as Henry Girard
- Kevin Pollack as Ralph Slutzky
- Patrick St. Esprit as Captain Phillip Santos
STAR WAR – A NEW HOPE (1978)
This one from the list of the good war movies, is an epic space-opera war movies. The movie starts with Princess Leia held hostage by the cruel Darth Vader. Vader’s army; the Imperial Forces attempt to bring an end to a rebellion against the Galactic Empire. Furthermore, Luke and Han two brave men work together with the R2-D2 robot and the C-3PO robot to rescue Princess Leia. They later help the rebel group to ensure freedom for the galaxy.
- Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker
- Harrison Ford as Han Solo
- Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia
- Peter Cushing as Grand Moff
- Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan Kenobi
13 HOURS: THE SECRET SOLDIER OF BENGHAZI (2016)
This is one of the most thrilling war movies of all time. The film revolves around the extremist Islamic militant attacks that take place in the U.S consulate in Benghazi, Libya. The attacks killed Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and Sean Smith, foreign service officer. Furthermore, the private military members of the Annex security team are assigned a mission to protect the diplomats in the city of Benghazi. As the ambush progresses the combatants engage in a fierce and brave fight to save the lives of the remaining Americans.
- John Krasinski as Jack Silva
- James Dale as Tyrone S. Woods
- Max Martini as Mark Geist
- Dominic Fumusa as John Tiegen
- David Denman as Dave Benton
- Toby Stephens as Glen Dohety
- Alexia Barlier as Sona Jillani
- Freddie Stroma as Brit Vayner
BEST WAR MOVIES ON NETFLIX
Netflix provides its audience with a range of war movies, hence, here’s a list of best war movies on Netflix:
THE OUTPOST (2020)
This is one of the best war movies on Netflix, it revolves around the story of a small unit of U.S. soldiers. These soldiers are posted in a remote outpost called Keating. It is situated in the valley of three mountains in Afghanistan. The setting is filled with Taliban fighters. Furthermore, it focuses on the Battle of Kamdesh, one of the most horrific wars in the history of U.S. military engagement in Afghanistan in 2009. Moreover, the fight between American and Taliban forces is shown brilliantly in the film. With Bravo Troop 3-61 CAV emerging as one of the most decorated units of the conflict.
- Scott Eastwood as Staff Sergeant Clint Romesha
- Caleb Jones as Specialist Ty Michael Carter
- Orlando Bloom as Captain Benjamin Keating
- Jack Kesy as Sergeant Josh Kirk
- Cory Hardrict as Staff Sergeant Vermon Martin
- Milo Gibson as Captain Robert Yllescas
SAND CASTLE (2017)
This is one of the best war movies on Netflix, it revolves around the life of a young soldier who enlists just before the horrific 9/11 attacks. Furthermore, it is shown through various scenes that he is not a brave man or a fighter at heart. He is just someone who advocates freedom. He is volunteering in Iraq in 2003. The army has captured Baghdad and Matt is sent out to transport water to a neighboring village with broken infrastructure. However, simple tasks and regular duties take time to be fulfilled in this war-like scenario.
- Nicholas Hoult as Pvt. Matt Ocre
- Logan Marshall-Green as Staff Sergeant Harper
- Henry Cavill as Captain Syverson
- Tommy Flanagan as Sergeant Major McGregor
- Glen Powell as Sergeant Dylan Chutsky
BEASTS OF NO NATION (2015)
The film is iconic and is one of the best war movies on Netflix. It revolves around the life of a young boy named Agu from war affected African town. The war impacts his town brutally, his father and older brother are killed and his mother and younger siblings flee the horrors. Furthermore, Agu flees to a jungle and he meets a battalion of rebel soldiers. He joins the rebellion. Hence, his childhood is drenched in the blood of revenge and the movie depicts his life as a boy soldier.
- Abraham Attah as Agu
- Idris Elba as Commandant
- Ama Abebrese as Mother
- Kobina Amissa-Sam as Father
- Jude Akuwudike as Dada Goodblood
INGLORIOUS BASTERDS (2009)
This is a brilliant story and is thus one of the best war movies on Netflix. The movie is set during the Second world war, it is the first year of German occupancy in France. The allied officer; Lt. Aldo Raine forms a team of Jewish soldiers to fight against the Nazis. These Jewish soldiers commit violent acts like scrapping off the Nazi’s scalps. The fates of the Jewish forces, Lt. Aldo Raine and the theatre owner Shosanna Dreyfus combine to bring down the Nazis.
- Brad Pitt as Lt. Aldo Raine
- Melanie Laurent as Shosanna Dreyfus
- Christoph Waltz as Standartenfuhrer Hans
- Eli Roth as Sergeant Donny Donowitz
- Michael Fassbender as Lt. Archie Hicox
- Diane Kruger as Bridget Von Hammersmark
THE KING (2019)
This is a historical-drama war movie and is on the list of good war movies on Netflix. The movie revolves around the life of Prince Hal, who is reluctant to ascend the English throne. Hal is living with the common people in the town. Furthermore, as Hal’s father dies he is crowned as the King Henry V of England. Now, he must put his duty above everything and fight the war and solve the political chaos left behind by his father. He encounters new and old relationships in his new role.
- Timothee Chalamet as King Henry V of England or Hal
- Joel Edgerton as Sir John Falstaff
- Robert Pattinson as Louis, the Dauphin
- Sean Harris as Chief Justice Sir William Gascoigne
- Steven Elder as Lord Dorset
- Ben Mendelsohn as King Henry IV of England
- Lily-Rose Depp as Catherine of Valois
- Dean-Charles Chapman as Prince Thomas
THE FINAL WORD
The war movies are very thrilling and emotion-provoking. Furthermore, different categories of these good war movies have led people to take an increasing interest in the genre. Netflix offers a range of movies and its list of good war movies is very impressive. These movies have gradually evolved with better technological innovations and skillful stuntmen. Moreover, good war movies are being increasingly welcomed for the realistic action sequences and thrilling plots. Best thing all the movies are available on OTT platform.