Who doesn’t wish to have an active body? A portion of healthy food energizes the body and helps it to function throughout the day. Breakfast is an essential routine which we often miss.
Breakfast should be a grand meal, whereas dinner should be light on the body. Indians have the most nutritious and healthy breakfast dishes.
Be it 5-minute breakfast recipes or North Indian breakfast recipes, or healthy Indian breakfast for weight loss, Indian dishes have it all! Therefore, traditional Indian breakfast can never go wrong when it comes to healthy eating.
Above all, it doesn’t compromise on taste too. So, we have got a list of 7 Healthy Indian Breakfast Recipes that are extraordinary in taste and full of health.
1.Besan Chilla | Indian Breakfast Recipes
Besan Chilla/Cheela is one of the best healthy Indian breakfast recipes. It is an enjoyable dish made of besan/gram. It takes only a few ingredients and is pretty easy to make, with superb taste.
Follow these steps to make a Besan Chilla/Cheela:
1 cup besan, ¼ cup finely chopped onion, ¼ cup finely chopped tomatoes, ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves, ½ tsp finely chopped ginger, ½ to ⅔ tsp finely chopped green chilies, turmeric powder, carom seeds/ajwain, and salt to taste.
- Take 1 cup besan in a bowl. After that, add ¼ cup finely chopped onion, ¼ cup finely chopped tomatoes, ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves, ½ tsp finely chopped ginger, and ½ to ⅔ tsp finely chopped green chilies to the bowl.
- Add turmeric powder, carom seeds, and salt as per your taste.
- Now, add water and mix everything.
- Make sure the consistency of the batter is smooth and free of any lumps.
- Now, heat a pan on a low flame and spread a bit of cooking oil/ghee. When heated, pour a small portion of the batter on the pan using a ladle.
- Flip the Chilla on the other side to cook it evenly.
- Take the Chilla off and serve it with mint chutney or sauce.
2.Upma | Indian Breakfast Recipes
Upma is like an Indian porridge cooked using sooji/durum wheat or dry-roasted semolina or coarse rice flour. It is a very famous and healthy Indian breakfast recipe from the Southern part of India.
1 cup Rava/sooji, mustard seeds, ⅓ cup finely chopped onions, 2-3 chopped green chilies, 1 tsp finely chopped ginger, 1 tsp chana dal, 1 tsp urad dal, and ¼ cup coriander leaves. Also, curry leaves (8-10 leaves) to add-on to Upma.
- First, roast the Rava until it starts looking dry and then set it aside. (keep on stirring the Rava in between)
- Now, put some cooking oil in a pan and keep it on a low flame. After that, add 1 tsp mustard seeds and wait for them to make a crackling sound.
- Now add ½ tsp cumin seeds along with 1 tsp chana dal and 1 tsp urad dal.
- Stir fry till the mixture starts turning brown.
- Now, add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions and sauté them until they become soft and translucent.
- After that, add chopped green chilies, ginger, and curry leaves and sauté for a while.
- Add 2.5 cups of water to the mixture and add salt as per requirement and stir the mixture. Keep on noticing whether the water is coming to a boil.
- Now, simmer down the flame to the lowest and start adding Rava part by part.
- Keep on repeating the process 4-5 times so that water gets absorbed by Rava.
- After this, cover the Upma using a lid and let it cook for at least 2-3 minutes.
- Take the dish off the stove and garnish with coriander.
- Enjoy! It is one of the 7 Healthy Indian Breakfast Recipes.
3.Poha | IndianBreakfast Recipes
Poha is one of the most enjoyed North Indian breakfast recipes. It is a healthy dish that is quick to cook and is a blend of crunchiness and softness at the same time.
Here’s the steps to make Poha:
1.5 cup thick Poha, medium size chopped onion, 1-2 chilies Green Chilies, curry leaves (rinsed), finely chopped coriander leaves, peanuts, 3/4 teaspoon mustard and cumin seeds and salt to taste.
- Take 1.5 cup thick Poha in a strainer/bowl, rinse it quickly and keep the bowl aside. (Note: make sure the Poha doesn’t get soggy).
- Take a medium size chopped onion, 1-2 chilies Green Chilies, curry leaves (rinsed), and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Check if the Poha is soft and has no lumps. Add salt & sugar (if required) and set it aside.
- Take some peanuts and fry/roast them in a pan (with 1/2 tablespoon oil) until they turn golden and crunchy. Keep them aside.
- Heat the pan again with 1-1½ tablespoon oil and add 3/4 teaspoon mustard and cumin seeds. Let them make a crackling noise.
- Now, add chopped onions, green chilies, curry leaves, and sauté them until the onions turn soft.
- Add the roasted peanuts and stir them. After that, add the Poha, cover it, and steam on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Turn the stove off and let the Poha stay covered for two more minutes.
- Now, garnish the Poha with chopped coriander or grated coconut (optional) and serve it hot!
4.Sprouts Chaat | Indian Breakfast Recipes
Sprouts are the most nutritious and fiber-packed food breakfast option. You can always experiment with it to suit your taste.
Here’s a quick Sprouts Chaat recipe to enjoy as a morning breakfast:
2 cups Sprouts (Moong & Gram: 1 cup each), 1 onion, 1 tomato, tamarind sauce, 2-3 green chilies, pinch/dash of red chili powder, salt to taste and sev.
- Take sprouts (Moong & Gram) in a bowl.
- Add chopped onion, tomato, green chilies, tamarind sauce, and mix them well.
- Now add salt and red chili powder as per your liking.
- Mix everything thoroughly and top it with sev and additional tamarind sauce.
There are other variants of Sprouts Chaat that includes frying them and then adding the mixture mentioned above. If you prefer eating sprouts as it is, then this is the perfect mix for you. You can also add small cubes of boiled potato, paneer, peanuts, murmure and so on as per your liking. Also, you can add a pinch of chaat masala.
5.Idli | Indian Breakfast Recipes
Idli is one of the healthiest food options for breakfast due to its unique preparation. It is a protein-packed meal, super delicious and easy to digest.
How to make Idli:
1 cup parboiled rice, 1 cup regular rice, ½ cup urad dal and 1 teaspoon of rock salt
- Take 1 cup parboiled rice and 1 cup regular rice in a bowl.
- Rinse both the rice several times. Later, drain them and keep them aside.
- Take ½ cup urad dal and rinse several times.
- After that, add 1 cup of water, cover it, and soak for 4 to 5 hours.
- Drain the urad dal and store the water as a reserve.
- Add the urad dal in the grinder and add ¼ cup of the reserve water.
- Grind the urad dal again. After that, add ¼ cup water and continue to grind to get a light and fluffy batter.
- Shift the urad dal batter into a deep pan or bowl.
- Now, drain the rice and grind it into two-three parts (depending on the quantity) and make it into a smooth batter.
- Transfer the rice batter into the bowl containing the urad dal batter. After that, take one teaspoon of rock salt and mix it well.
- The batter has to be covered and kept in a warm place for 8-9 hours. (keep the batter for 12-24 hours in a colder climate). The volume of batter will increase after fermentation.
- Now, take the idli maker, grease it with oil/ghee, and pour the batter into the mold. (add 2 to 2.5 cups of water in the idli stand and heat the water)
- Steam it for 12-15 minutes. Use a toothpick to check whether the idlis are ready or not. If the toothpick comes out clean, take the Idlis out, and serve them with coconut or mixed peanut chutney.
You can also serve idlis with sambar and even use idli mix to avoid the process and get quick, ready-to-eat breakfast.
Now you know what makes Idli a healthy breakfast option.
6.Dalia | Indian Breakfast Recipes
A simple Dalia consists of cracked wheat, milk, and sugar. It is ideal comfort food for all occasions. And very filling & tasteful to have for breakfast.
Here’s the recipe to make Dalia:
cracked wheat, milk, sugar and chopped dry fruits
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add half a cup of dalia to a medium-low flame and roast it for 3-4 minutes along with ghee (stir it continuously).
- The dalia will give out an aroma, and the color will change.
- After that, add 1.5 to 1.75 cups of water (change the amount accordingly).
- Pressure cook it for 5-6 minutes or till the dalia gets cooked, and add 1.5 cups milk to the cooked dalia.
- Add sugar as per requirement.
- Mix everything well and keep it cooking on a medium-low flame.
- Let the mixture simmer for 8 to 9 minutes. Keep on stirring the mix so that it does not get stuck at the bottom.
- Now add half a teaspoon cardamom powder, one tablespoon chopped almonds, and one tablespoon chopped cashews (or any dry fruit as per your choice).
- Mix them well and let it simmer for a minute or two.
- The dalia is ready!
7.Uttapam | Indian Breakfast Recipes
This South Indian breakfast recipe is everyone’s favorite. A healthy breakfast dish filled with veggies that is simple yet packed with flavors. It is one of the delicious and 7 Healthy Indian Breakfast Recipes. Here’s how to make an Uttapam:
Ingredients for Batter:
- 1 cup parboiled rice, 1 cup regular rice, ½ cup urad dal and 1 teaspoon of rock salt
- Prepare a smooth yet thick batter, the same as mentioned in the idli recipe. However, make sure the batter is not too sour.
Ingredients for Toping:
Chopped veggies as per requirement- onion, tomato, chilies, capsicum or any veggie you like.
- Take the batter. Make sure the batter is of thick and smooth consistency.
- Take a pan on medium flame and wait till hot.
- Now, when the pan is hot enough, sprinkle some oil. After that, pour the batter into the pan and lower the flame.
- Don’t spread the batter too much, as we need a fluffy Uttapam.
- Top the Uttapam with veggies.
- After that, flip it over. Don’t overcook the veggies. Let them be crunchy or cook it some more, but not for too long.
- Turn off the stove. And serve with coriander or coconut or peanut chutney.
- The Uttapam is ready to eat!
Note: The aforementioned recipes serve 2. However, you can increase the ingredients depending on the requirement.
These were the 7 healthy Indian breakfast recipes for you. Therefore, you have a recipe for everyday – the whole week long. So, keep on learning new dishes, grab on to your spatulas, and cook a healthy and yummy breakfast every day.
Read More From Us: