National Education Day – Why is it Celebrated?
National Education Day is observed every year on the 11th of November in India. This day is dedicated to celebrate the birth anniversary of the first education minister of India, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. National Education Day is celebrated to remember this soul who has the biggest contribution towards the foundation and shaping the pillar of education in India.
Maulana Azad was a freedom fighter who served the Independent India as its first minister of education from 1947 to 1958.
On 11th September 2008, Ministry of Human Resource Development announced the decision to commemorate 11th November as National Education Day to remember Maulana Azad.
Some Interesting Facts about Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
- Birth – Maulana Azad was born on 11th November, 1888.
- Original Name – Abul Kalam Ghulam Muhiyuddin Ahmed bin Khairuddin Al-Hussaini Azad
- Fondly known as Maulana Azad – Maulana; honorific meaning ‘Our Master’ and Azad; he had adopted as his pen name
- People also know Maulana Azad as “a warrior with a pen”
- Poet – He composed poetry in Urdu
- 1920 – Jamia Millia Islamia – Maulana Azad was elected as the member of founding committee to establish Jamia Millia Islamia University in Aligarh, UP
- 1923 – Indian National Congress (INC) – He served as the youngest President of INC; he was just 35
- 1934 – Jamia Millia Islamia – Azad assisted to shift the University to New Delhi
- The main gate of the Jamia Millia Islamia University is dedicated to his name
- UGC – He established and Inaugurated University Grants Commission (UGC) on 28th December, 1953
- He led and worked for Hindu-Muslim unity
- Al-Hilal newspaper – He worked for Urdu Newspaper; Al-Hilal to promote Hindu-Muslim unity
- INC – Led INC as president for the second term from 1940 to 1945
- Imprisonment – He was imprisoned during his presidency of INC when the whole leadership was imprisoned after the Quit India Movement
- Goodbye – He left for his heavenly abode on 22nd February, 1958 after a cardiac arrest
- 1992 – Awarded with Bharat Ratna as a freedom fighter and educationist
Read More From Us:
- The Most Popular Top 20 PC Games in 2020
- Top 15 Android Games and Best Games in 2020
- Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam: The Missile Man of India | Scientist | Politician | President | Author
- Top 20 Business Movies Every Entrepreneur Should Watch
- Harshad Mehta: The Man behind the Biggest 1992 Indian Stock Market Scam